|Mosquito feeding on human. Photo credit: list25|
Information is knowledge and knowledge they say is power, probably the amazing creature mosquito is one of the parasitic organism that you need to know something about, most of this information am going to give you now will surely help you, especially in the prevention of bite and transmitting of the malaria by the malaria vector carrier mosquito.
1. Do you know that mosquito can only travel 50m distance? But that when the female mosquito is hungry it can travel as far as 100 to 150m to search for food.
2. Do you know that both the female and the male mosquito feeds on plant nectar and honeydew? But when the female mosquito wants to lay its egg its need protein and iron to do so and that is why only the female mosquito feeds of blood including human blood.
3. Do you know that both male and female mosquito buzz but why the female mosquito buzz seems to make noise more is because they are the only one who comes close to human in search of blood?
4. Do you know that if you are bitten about 1million times by mosquito a day is when you can lose all your blood?
5. Do you know that why you can’t contract HIV from mosquito is because the Virus is broken down at the stomach of the mosquito, and mosquito pin-like mouth is the only part that gets in contact with your blood during feeding?
6. Do you know that mosquito egg cannot survive in immiscible liquid water, like hydrocarbon water? That is why when you pour kerosene, petrol or oil into stagnant water mosquito egg dies.
7. Do you know that the male mosquito only survives for 10 days after maturity while the female lives up to 60 days except its hibernate before it can survive up to 180 days after maturity?
8. Do you know that mosquitoes use three (3) major things to locate where human beings are, (a) By Carbon dioxide which is exhaled from human breath? (b) By sweat and (c) By some perfume human being used.
9. Do you know that the female mosquito flap its wing up to 500 times in one second that produces the sound you hear and that is the sound the male uses to locate their female species?
10. Do you know that mosquito is the most deadly animal in the world and has killed humans more than all the wars fought from the beginning of the world, with a yearly record of about 1million human killed yearly? And Alexandra the Great was considered death due to mosquito bite which gives him malaria.
11. Do you know that Plasmodium spp. responsible for malaria infection lives in the saliva of a female Anopheles mosquito?
12. Do you know that mosquito only releases its saliva on human during blood feeding as a mild painkiller and so that the person its feed on will not notice?
13. Do you know that mosquito saliva contain anticoagulant which is also why it does not allow blood to coagulate in its mouth during feeding?
14. Do you know that raindrop weigh-in mass fifty times than an average mosquito? That is to say, mosquito is very light in weight that is why when they perch on human they became un-noticed.
15. Do you know that mosquitoes are predicted to have existed about 210 million years ago on earth?