Ukpono Anietie, PH.
Peter Obi, the Labour Party’s candidate of the last presidential election in Nigeria, has condemned the attacking and killings of several humanitarian workers in Anambra State, which occurred on Tuesday.
Taking to his Twitter account, Peter Obi expressed his outrage at the attack and the killings of the humanitarian workers.
He emphasized that such a despicable act should be vehemently condemned.
With heartfelt sympathy, he extended his condolences to the families of the deceased, the United States Embassy, and other charitable international agencies affected by this gruesome event.
“I just got the most reprehensible news of the attack and killing of some international humanitarian workers in Anambra state, which happened on Tuesday. This despicable act is highly condemnable.
“My heartfelt sympathy goes to the families of the deceased, the United States Embassy and other charitable International agencies involved.
“Nothing can be more deplorable than that somebody has to die while rendering a charity job for a people and a nation in need.
“The rising crime rate in our community and country is not unconnected with the frightening rising poverty level and unemployment of youths in our land which is a consequence of a prolonged leadership failure over the years.
“When youths in their product ages remain idle for a prolonged time the devil finds in them veritable tools to build workshops in. Our redemption remains a quick turnaround from consumption to production.
“I urge the appropriate security agencies to put no stone unturned in ensuring that the perpetrators of these wicked and abominable acts are fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law,” he said.
US Government on the Anambra State Attack
The White House had earlier confirm the attack on the United States Embassy convoy in Anambra State, assuring the public that no American citizens were involved.
John Kirby, the spokesperson for the US National Security Council, relayed the information to the press, indicating that casualties had occurred but refraining from divulging specific details.
“I just got informed about a whole lot before coming out here to talk to you all. It does look like a US convoy vehicle was attacked.
“What I can tell you is that no US citizens were involved and therefore there were no US citizens hurt.
“But we are aware of some casualties, perhaps even some killed, but I don’t want to get too far ahead of where we are right now,” Kirby said.
Statement by Anambra State Police Command
The Anambra State Police Command, through a statement by Tobechukwu Ikenga, provided an update, clarifying that four individuals lost their lives and no US citizens were present in the convoy during the attack.
“The Joint Security Forces have embarked on a rescue/recovery operation in Ogbaru LGA, following an attack on a convoy of staff of U S Consulate today 16/5/2023 by 3:30 pm along Atani, Osamale Road.
“The hoodlums murdered two of the PMF operatives, and two staff of the Consulate, and set their bodies and vehicles ablaze.
“Also, the arsonist/murderers on sighting the responding joint security forces abducted two Police operatives, the driver of the second vehicle and took to their heels. No US citizen was in the convoy,” he said.