Nothing sucks like not knowing which is the right oil to use for your car. Just like choosing the right food on the menu, knowing what oil to use for your car can be very helpless to your car engine.
So, if you’re a car owner, this article is for you. If you’ve never cared about what oil to buy for your, then you’re not doing the right thing. The engine of your car is the life of the car, don’t neglect it by choosing a wrong oil.
Therefore, the type of oil that is best for your car will depend on the make and model of your vehicle, as well as the type of engine and driving conditions.
- Types of Oil that Can be use in a Car Engine
The type of oil to use to protect your engine from breaking down are:
1. Conventional oil: This is the most common type of oil and is made from crude oil. It is a good choice for most vehicles and is relatively inexpensive.
2. Synthetic oil: This type of oil is made from chemically engineered base oils and is designed to perform better at high temperatures and under heavy loads. It is generally more expensive than conventional oil, but it can offer better protection for your engine and may require fewer oil changes.
3. High mileage oil: This type of oil is formulated specifically for vehicles with more than 75,000 miles on the odometer. It is designed to help reduce leaks and oil consumption in older engines.
4. Diesel oil: This type of oil is designed for use in diesel engines and is formulated to withstand the high temperatures and pressures that are common in these engines.
- How to Know Which Oil is Best for Your Car?
There are some factors to consider when choosing the right oil for your car. They include:
1. Viscosity: The viscosity of the oil refers to its thickness. Oil with a higher viscosity will be thicker and more resistant to flow, while oil with a lower viscosity will be thinner and more prone to flow.
The viscosity of oil determines how well it flows at a given temperature. It’s important to choose an oil with the right viscosity for your car’s engine. In general, a higher viscosity oil is better for high performance engines and a lower viscosity oil is better for fuel efficiency.
2. SAE rating: The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) assigns a number to oils based on their viscosity. The lower the number, the thinner the oil. For example, SAE 5W-30 oil is thinner than SAE 10W-40 oil.
3. Compatibility with your car’s engine: It’s important to choose an oil that is compatible with your car’s engine. Check your owner’s manual or consult with a mechanic to find out which oils are recommended for your specific make and model of car.
4. API rating: The American Petroleum Institute (API) assigns a letter rating to oils based on their performance in different types of engines. For example, oils with an “S” rating are suitable for use in spark-ignition engines, while oils with a “C” rating are suitable for use in diesel engines.
5. Quality: Choose an oil that meets the standards set by the American Petroleum Institute (API). Look for the API’s “donut” symbol on the oil’s packaging.
6. Price: Consider your budget when choosing an oil. Keep in mind that using a higher quality oil may save you money in the long run by helping to extend the life of your engine. Also, using the wrong type of oil can cause problems with your engine and void your manufacturer’s warranty.
Overall, the best oil for your car’s engine will depend on your specific needs and the recommendations of the manufacturer.
Just like cars have different models and specifications same way different countries have manufacturers who produce quality oil for cars.
In Nigeria, there are various popular brands that overtime have been consistent in giving customers value for their money.
These brands have the best of oil for cars in Nigeria. Although the price can be neck-breaking but it is worth the risk for your car engine.
Some of the most popular brands include:
1. Total: This is a French multinational oil and gas company that operates in more than 130 countries worldwide. Total is a well-known and trusted brand in Nigeria, and its products include gasoline, diesel, and other fuels.
2. Oando: Oando is a Nigerian multinational energy company that is involved in the exploration, production, and distribution of oil and gas. The company is known for its high-quality products and services, and its products include gasoline, diesel, and other fuels.
3. Mobil: Mobil is a well-known international oil company that has a strong presence in Nigeria. The company offers a wide range of products, including gasoline, diesel, and other fuels, and is known for its high-quality products and services.
4. Forte Oil: Forte Oil is a Nigerian energy company that is involved in the exploration, production, and distribution of oil and gas. The company’s products include gasoline, diesel, and other fuels, and it is known for its high-quality products and services.
5. Shell: Shell is a multinational oil and gas company that has a strong presence in Nigeria. The company offers a wide range of products, including gasoline, diesel, and other fuels, and is known for its high-quality products and services.
So, when next you want to choose an oil for your car, don’t forget to go for the best.